Friday, February 10, 2017

Food in Jars Challenge - Salt and Herbs... Take 2

So.. I made celery salt....

and I made basil salt....


My latest foray to the grocery store brought me parsley, scallions and garlic..



In all my concoctions, though - for me - I think there is more salt than herb and I'm not sure that will work for me.  Today I plan to double up..... I have more celery leaves..... and I have more of the parsley, scallions and garlic..   I am going to dry all that and add the herbs to my salt mixes!


What I love most about this project is that it only takes little bits of produce and salt - and is a bit of recycling / upcycling.

I saw lots of ideas for citrus salts that might make wonderful gifts.... and a process where I zest the orange I am about to eat - and use that zest from a rind I would throw away....  is appealing to me.   Zest the rind with a grater....  let the zest dry (either naturally or in the oven) while you eat the orange! ... add salt and there ya go!

Also - another salt project I did NOT do (yet :-) is Herbs Salee - a combination of many herbs preserved with salt..... more salt preserved herbs than herbed salt.  I think this will be a fantastic idea in the summer when the garden overflows with parsley, oregano, rosemary, basil and all the other herb bounty.

Since it is now February, I really don't want to purchase enough of these to make up the product.   [But then, this is me we are talking about... I may find something intriguing while I shop!]


BTW.....  the preserved limes I was worrying about the other day....



The liquid level is rising now! 

The newer ones still look the same



I guess I just need to have faith :-)  They still smell heavenly so I think I am still in business :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment