Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 222 - Canning Adventures July 2015


Plums, plums, plums.......  It didn't look like so many when I picked them.  I mean - last year when I started my canning adventures, I had a pear tree that yielded more than 5 wheelbarrow loads!   The plums....  a couple of plastic grocery bags....

BUT..... enough for

Spiced Plum jam - http://www.simplebites.net/for-the-love-of-small-batch-canning-recipe-spiced-plum-jam/
    Forgot to take a photo but you can imagine!


Asian plum sauce  from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard


A little salty but I think I will like it to jazz up my chicken occasionally.  I will probably cut back on soy / salt and increase hot peppers if I make it again.

Basic tomatoes / peppers with a little lemon juice

Okay.. well.. these tomatoes and peppers were hanging around and I am tired of being creative!  I guess these are my pints of 'Rotel wannabes' for beans and chili next winter!

Plum Jam with Lime and Ginger   



Another batch of plum jam..... I appear to be into lime and ginger this year!

Spicy Kosher Dill...   Based on this recipe  Kosher Dill Pickles but I added the same amount of dried hot pepper as dill seed.  I do usually have to adjust the spices in the jar since my preference is half-pints as opposed to the pints usually specified. Oh - and I usually stick a slice of jalapeno in my jar so I can tell at a glance if it is spicy!



I had a pack of three sweet peppers in the fridge and I forgot why :-)  So I saw this recipe and figured I'd give it a go.  I'll report back in a couple of weeks once they cure.   You can see the one "leftover piece" pint above with the dills. 

Multi-colored Ginger Pickled Pepper from the same book as the Plum Sauce:  The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving.  I like this one because it has some unusual recipes.




A lot of stuff this week!  And  more next week as I wind up the plums and use up what's still in the fridge and what will come in my next CSA box.

No comments:

Post a Comment