Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bread Adventures Ksra (Moroccan Anise and Barley Flatbread)

Baking along in  the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois

Thinking about this bread makes me smile for several reasons.  First of all, I am writing this blog MUCH later than when I baked it..... and am noticing things I didn't notice before.... like the word FLATBREAD :-)  I have made this bread since and made it as a loaf!  Still pretty yummy, I must say.

Exactly why I like this book so much!  A kitchen-challenged individual can still create great bread!  Stripping away the magic so I can accomplish this regularly doesn't strip away the awe in other people's eyes at my achievements :-)




I remember when I made this bread the first time ... all I focused on was that it has ANISE in it and I was fairly certain that my family wouldn't even try it.    Looking at the photo below, I must have picked up on the flatbread part.  It's a little puffy for flatbread but not as big as a loaf.   I baked it when my brother and his family came to visit, hoping that maybe THEY would help us eat it!

And they did - I really liked it.  The flavor is reminiscent of rye with all that nutty-flavored barley in it.  It's hearty and filling.... the dough makes 3-4 loaves so be prepared to find people to help you eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment