Saturday, February 12, 2011

Plans..... WHAT plans?

Wow - do you ever find that you plot and plan and strategize..... and then life happens?   My weekend took an unexpected turn (probably BECAUSE I had things all carefully planned out :-)  God has a way of reminding me who is in charge!

  Last night my teen-aged son came down HARD with a cold!  We went to the Winter Ball because he couldn't stand NOT going... but he didn't dance much.  I had a hint then that he was REALLY feeling bad.  We came home and he went to bed.

I woke a little earlier this morning than usual...nerves for today's martial arts testing I am sure.  I went ahead and got up and got several things done, including 1.5 miles of the 7 miles I had on the schedule for today & a pot of chili going in the crockpot.  Then, I went to wake up my son....  oh, poor thing.... he really feels awful.  He feels so bad that he didn't feel that he would be able to test for his next belt.

So.... instead of being a totally crammed weekend, my morning turned out to be FREE!

What got to me though... was simply this:  I didn't know how to respond!  If you remember a few days ago, I was debating whether or not I wanted to test for my own next belt level....  I did consider going ahead without him... but rejected that pretty quickly.  I feel better hanging around and being there for him - even if I can't do much.  Martial arts is HIS love.... and this is a sad thing for him.  For me, it isn't that important.  I chose to go ahead with it merely because I have earned it and I deserve it..... two things that I don't take into consideration enough!

But I was aggravated that things changed.  Which is kind of funny since I wasn't really invested in the weekend's events in the first place!

It struck me as funny - but so predictable... that we don't like change!  Even GOOD change... even change that brings us what we want!  We are such contrary creatures that I had to shake my head at my own responses.

Fortunately, I was able to chuckle at myself and regroup pretty quickly.  I did  go ahead with my 7 miles..... and got into my usual Saturday morning crafting.  I worked on the infamous quilt panel and have finished up a few of the crochet projects.  I have cleaned out one of the garden beds and will get more of the week's house maintenance out of the way.  I will get some paperwork handled and even have time to plan some fun with my guys.  But I am grateful for the opportunity to laugh at myself!

How is YOUR weekend going?  How fast did things change at YOUR house?


   

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Kay! God truly does control everything, and can change our plans in a heartbeat. I sure can relate. Hope and pray Kevin gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete