Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bread Adventures - Pissaladiere AND Focaccia with Onion and Rosemary



It's been a few weeks since I've shared my bread adventures so I will remind you that I am baking my way through Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.  It's kind of fun to see that the kitchen-impaired can make good bread that people will actually eat!  This adventure has been going on for several months - and people are beginning to ask me to make bread (which always makes me chuckle - but I like it!)

Anyway, this week I will tell about some of my flatbread adventures.  The book has several recipes so I will be doing flatbreads for a while - but I am glad from a reprieve from bagels (until someone catches on and asks me to make them again!)

*****

What fun to bake at a family gathering!  I had decided that since these two breads had a lot of onions and olives.. that I would make them when the gang gathered.  Otherwise, I would probably have had to eat them all myself..... NOT a real hardship BUT not the wisest course of action when you are trying to develop healthier eating patterns!

And it is definitely fun to see the looks on my adult children's faces when I pulled my beautiful focaccia out of the oven!

We decided that there was not enough rosemary sprinkled on to suit us, so we doubled the amount.... and there was still not enough in the finished product.  The rosemary I used was from a jar though so that may have made a difference.  I decided to actually put the rosemary in the dough next time.  The carmelized onions were fun and pretty.




My favorite was the pissaladiere.... because I really do love onions.  I skipped the anchovies since we are pretty much a non-fish bunch.  I love olives but felt that they kind of distracted from the bread.  I either need to use more olives or fewer onions - or perhaps one OR the other, not together.



Both breads were good though - and completely demolished... and that tells the real story!

No comments:

Post a Comment