Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dish Cloth Challenge #1


One of my resolutions had to do with crocheting.... one of my FAVORITE things to do!  Sometimes I think if I were younger, I would be labeled somehow... but a reality for me is that I like to stay busy.  My brain sorts things out better if I am moving in some way.   I think that's why crocheting works for me.... I've been doing it so long that many times, my fingers are flying and my brain is free.

Not always though - and I promised myself this year that I would engage the brain and do some more creative things.. try some new techniques!  And, as often happens, when the wish goes out into the universe, the means presents itself...

I found a "dishcloth challenge".  At the website listed below is a challenge to create dishcloths... 365 of them :-)

ACTUALLY designing them is not part of what I want to do (right now).... but here before me was an opportunity - 365 short projects that would give me a creative challenge.

I also like the nature of the project... for one... dishcloths... come on, who can mess up a dishcloth?  Rip it out, start over, or go clean something.... no worries...

Second... the patterns are versatile..... most of the squares could be translated into afghan squares with different yarns.... so if there is one that particularly grabs me.... I can make 30 of them and sew them together in an afghan...

Some of the patterns can translate into winter scarves.... by simply using a warm yarn and NOT stopping at "square shape" but continuing on until the length is right.

The patterns are FREE :-)  I like that!

I will probably use these cloths as gifts later.... putting 2-3 of them together and doing a coordinating dishtowel or potholder would make a cute set.  Potholder could easily be TWO of the same dishcloth stitched together and adding a hanging loop :-)

And then - in honesty - I have more yarn stashed than anyone needs....  this challenge offers me an opportunity to work on my financial resolution.... by USING UP.  Small projects lend themselves to using scraps.... so anyway - on to the fun!


http://www.bestfreecrochet.com  Dishcloth challenge by Maggie Weldon

These are the patterns for # 1 through 5... the colors and shapes are geared toward Valentines.. so bear with me.

The heart is pattern #1... it was pretty easy and fun to see it take shape.

#2 and 3 are the small ones in the upper left hand corner.  They are kind of small and lacy... probably better suited for baby washcloths than dishcloths in my opinion.  Both would work well as scarves... particularly the ripple pattern one.  Also with a larger hook, they would make larger cloths - so the size could be changed pretty easily.

#4 is in the lower left corner.  I thought this one was the BEST one for actually cleaning....it is thick and has little bobbles on it that would scrub pretty well, I think.

#5 is the heart and lace.... really pretty but I'm not sure about usefulness :-)  Fun to do though!

Try them - I'll post some each week for a while so you can see how I do and decide if you want to try them (or put in your order...LOL!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment