Sunday, August 30, 2015

Quilt Stories - There's No Place Like Home 2015

When I first saw this pattern

Streak o Lightnin
by
Janice Pope
which you can purchase here

It was being offered as a class at my local quilt shop.....

and I just couldn't settle on a colorway.   We didn't sell jelly rolls at the time.. so no help there....  several folks went with a lovely deep blue/white theme.. but I just wasn't feeling it.

But I WAS feeling a fabric.... which is how things often begin with me.  It's name was Christmas Rose.... but it was clearly a poppy.  That aggravates me to no end.. isn't it silly?

But it was red and green with a little gilt on the edges..... and I do like sparkle!

And, since they were poppies...... well, the other color needed to be my yellow brick road..... so I went with about 8 shades of gold & yellow.  And changed it up.... I wanted the stripes to go vertical rather than horizontal...

quilt top

I also ended up skipping the triangle point border because the quilt ended up pretty BIG!  I did think the border is a brilliant way to use up all the little angle points I cut off the strips...... but I am stitching the triangles into squares for my scrap collection.  And I had plenty of gold strips left to stitch together for a scrappy binding.

quilting done and binding started.... ready to finish the binding by hand and the label



I am pretty proud of this beauty.... completely stitched on my little sewing machine.... and finished!

Always there to remind me that happiness is right here in my own backyard!

******************

Post Script.....  When I made this quilt, of course my mind was continually filled with the story of the Wizard of Oz....  and I was reminded every time I worked on it [or even looked at it afterward] of my beloved daughter, Brenna.  My intention was for her to have the quilt eventually... when I was tired of it...

I didn't get tired of it... but my girl bought a new house... her very first!  And this quilt - all of a sudden - was no longer mine, but hers!  I still need to make her a quilt from start to finish.... but she has the first of her inherited ones!



No comments:

Post a Comment