Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bread Adventures - Lavash plus Sticky Caramel Rolls

   
     Baking along with Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.

I have to apologize that it is taking so long to get through it but baking is a foreign p[roject to me and I have not had the time to devote to it.  Plus, as you probably know, I am fairly frugal so we eat what I cook...... I have to have an occasion to share OR we have to have eaten up what I already made... so it takes a little longer for me to move on to the next bread!


Trying lavash was a unique experience for me.  Like many of the breads in this book, I've never had it... I've never SEEN it... so I am going by description, following instructions!

To make this Armenian bread, you can use one of several types of dough from the book - I typically use the light wheat dough, though I really like the European Peasant dough as well.

The bread was soft and chewy - though obviously by the photo below, I should have left it to brown a little longer



But the taste was good.... my taste-testers tore it up and polished it off!  I suppose I might make it again but it is not enough like a bread we enjoy with our meals for me to repeat often.  I think it is a preference though.... I can see where it could be used well like a tortilla or wrap!


Ahh........ The Sticky Pecan Caramel Rolls.......  (simply Sticky Caramel for us) I jumped ahead a little for this one!  When I made the Challah the other day, I had dough leftover and thought I'd look ahead at the enriched breads section and see what I could make with it.  Someday maybe I will be able to do this without a book - but not yet!

Anyway - What fun!  Another baking success story!!



No pecans per my husband's request.... but lots of butter as you can see! Overbrowned on one side but absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment