Thursday, June 14, 2012

Bread Adventures - Za'atar Flatbread

One of the all-time success stories!

It starts out in an intimidating manner.... za-atar.... a middle eastern word which means... well, I don't know.. but that is part of the adventure, right?

And the recipe calls for za'atar spices.... okay, now what on earth is that?  A blend... okay - well, frugal me.... a blend is cheaper when you make your own, right?

Except that THIS blend calls for sumac berries... something I don't exactly have in my cupboard and couldn't locate anywhere around..  so I went hunting online!  I found it right away at www.nuts.com - my favorite 'go to' spot for spices and nuts.... It isn't particularly expensive - but I had to buy a pretty large quantity of something I only needed a tablespoon of...


This was pretty fun - the dough is simple..... roll it out and poke finger holes on the top!  And then drizzle olive oil in it... yummmmmy!  And then - the spices!  The za-atar blend smelled pretty good but I still had no clue!
  

My house sure did smell good!  Kind of like Italian spices...

This was another of those that I timed the baking of it to go to a church function.  Mostly because I am never sure what my husband will like.. my boys don't usually even try the breads..

Just because I wasn't sure - and because it is around St Patrick's Day - I pulled another recipe off www.artisanbreadinfive.com.  There are often new recipes to try over there - so go check it out!

These are "Green Four Leaf Clover Broccoli and Cheddar Buns" - They took forever but I thought they would be better received than a strange bread with a weird spice.  They turned out to be pretty tasty but not really worth the trouble (in my opinion - the opinion of the kitchen-challenged person who doesn't like to spend too much time cooking!)  Now that the grandgirls are a little older though - I bet I would have fun rolling all the little balls to make the clover muffins with them!


So - as you can see.. you roll four little balls for each muffin.  The dough includes broccoli which gives the muffins a green look to them :-)  And then sprinkle Cheddar cheese on top.  Pretty fun to take to a St Paddy Dinner!

To continue the story of the Za'atar Flatbread... below is the photo of the one that went to the church potluck.  The family fell on the first one and ate it up.  All of it.... and I had to bake another.  Needless to say, I am no longer worried about using up the spices :-)  My husband has declared it a favorite!



So - have you bought the book yet or gotten it out of the library?

Which ones have you tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment