Sunday, March 22, 2015

Fabric Scrap Management Phase 2!

Phase TWO happened when the scrap bin filled up...

.....and I caught myself looking for another one!

(for the Phase ONE post, click here )


[at this time, I still had older scrap pieces still folded up with like fabric in the color bins.  My scrap bin was ONLY scraps from recent projects]


I started searching for ideas.... and decided to use a small plastic 3 drawer chest I already had for specific sized small scraps.

Something I read called for saving 2.5" strips.....
and I had seen several patterns for 2" pieces.....
and then of my scraps I had some that were ALMOST 2 inches..... 

so I ended up with 3 drawers: 1.5", 2", and 2.5"

and then small tubs for 3 inch pieces and for "over 3".... (and of course, my original scrap bin!)  Each time I cut on a project, I put the scraps away appropriately and pulled a handful of scraps from the original bin to trim up and put away.

So... I then had
one 3-drawer chest for 3 different size pieces of fabric
one small shoebox-sized bin for "3-inches and over" pieces
and the original scrap bin

So KEY to begin.....

choose SOME way to sort and start.

Don't worry about finishing or getting it right - just begin to organize in a way that makes sense to you.

Your own system will evolve if you keep a it..

I have a few more posts in this series...... so....  how did I move to phase 3?

No comments:

Post a Comment