Monday, August 15, 2011

What are we teaching our Children?

Too many times, I think we blame our family - our beloved husbands and children - for our own lack of achievement!  We say there are things we want to accomplish..... and then we don't do anything about it.  PLUS, we say we "couldn't" because we had to take care of them!

Is that really true?

I'm not so sure...

I watch myself encourage my kids to reach for the moon..... and then I sit and watch them do it.

What am I really teaching?

That children are supposed to take risks and achieve goals.......  but moms are NOT?  Yes..... I think that is what we teach!

We learned early as parents that our children do not do what we SAY.... they do what we DO!

I am not saying that I haven't achieved... in honesty, the greatest achievement I ever wanted was to be a wife and mother... and I have done that.  But have I fooled myself in the meantime?

Have I spent time and energy worrying about lost dreams I never really wanted?
     If this is the case - I need to STOP now and start expressing my enjoyment of the life I am leading!  I need to step up and take my place as a contented support person :-)

Or have I ignored dreams that I should have worked toward?
   But if THIS is the case.... I need to define those dreams and set something in motion right now to work toward them.

To teach my children to be responsible adults who are happy with their lives..... will require ME to step up and be a responsible adult who is happy with her life!

And one thing I am learning every day.... it is never to late to begin the lesson because they are always watching.......

always....

and doing what you DO not what you say :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment