Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Charity begins at home

  Isaiah 58
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
   and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
   and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?


      This was one of the readings we listened to last Sunday and it hit home HARD!  I mean, my resolutions... to tithe..   okay, well that takes care of some of the poor... bringing food donations takes care of some of the hungry.... my crocheting will take care of clothing some of the naked..  but the people I live with?

   What does that mean?  I mean... they have clothes and food...  they have more books and toys than they know what to do with...  I think what resonates with me is that I am WONDERFUL with the rest of the world..... yet I am not offering my best efforts to the blessed beloved ones I live with.

  It is scary to think that this is true.. but I am old with many children and can definitely remember MANY times that I was fair and lenient with others.... yet harsh and demanding with my own... yet also insisting on my family's understanding when I extended so much to others.  I never realized that I tried so hard to remember everyone..... yet forgot the people closest to me!

  I sit here now with a resolution to send cards to friends and family..... yet have failed utterly with the people whose lives are entwined with mine.  Not that I have forgotten their birthdays.... but I do not get presents wrapped.... often skip the cards... and am not sure that I make them feel as special as they really are.
But I
   It's still a good resolution.  The extended family needs to know that they are special to me.  Because they are... they really are, even if I don't know them well.  But I need to extend myself further....  I need to make sure that I act in a loving manner to those who share my home.

    Those who live with me need to FEEL my love and respect for them.... it is left for another day to come up with some concrete ways to show that love.  It is sufficient for today to recognize that I have not given them enough of what they deserve for putting up with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment