Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 5 - Sunday

Surprisingly, physically, I feel great!  I expected to be pretty sore and tired but really - just stiff when I sit too long - I am ready for another adventure.

We started out with a lazy morning... coffee on the porch - one of our favorite things to do at home, too!  The sky was heavy with clouds.. and, every so often, there are tremendous 30-second BURSTS of showers.  After the showers, the world is freshly greened... the flowers just a shade brighter... and the birds and butterflies more aggressive in seeking the new moisture before it evaporates.  I tried to catch a hummingbird with my camera but they were just too fast!

Plans for the day never quite materialized.  We sat on the porch most of the day, chatting back and forth between long stretches reading.   It was a super time to recharge and dream about and plan for the future.  We are so busy in normal life!  There doesn't seem to be enough time to connect with each other... even when we try to schedule it in!

 It is kind of fun to just sit and watch the world.... at one point, a large iguana crawled out of a palm tree and sauntered lazily across the road.  You don't see THAT every day.

This trip has been more than an opportunity for me to participate in a race.  For my son, it was re-creating the trip we took down here a couple of years ago - the first time I participated in the 8 TUFF Mile race.  But more importantly, for me and my husband, it was a chance to re-connect... to relive that honeymoon we took down here in the Caribbean 20 years ago!   What a blessing to return in our 20th year of marriage!

This trip has been an emotional whirlwind with the family death in the middle of it.  Knowing we can't be at the viewing tonight or the funeral tomorrow is really hard.  At the same time, I feel incredibly blessed knowing that my children have gathered 'round... together... to take care of each other.

I think that THIS is a part of my vacation that I need to take home with me... a day here and there.. to sit on the porch and dream with my husband :-) and to remember - no matter what the maelstrom whirling around us - we are blessed!

Tomorrow, we have one more opportunity to visit with my cousins and then will head back home to our little world on Tuesday.  I am more than ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment