Friday, February 11, 2011

Friday weekend plans

Ahhh.... the weekend!  

Weekends are supposed to be times to fill with family and FUN!

Why are we seduced into filling our weekends with chores?

       I am as guilty as everyone else.... I am looking at my To Do list this morning with an eye to what I can finish up over the weekend.... what I need to do to further my goals.  But the most important thing that I consider for a weekend is Spending Time with the people I love!  But I feel such a CRUSH of chores and time constraints!

So.... how to get everything done?

#1.  What are the events on the schedule for the weekend?   Which are MY events and which are events where my support is needed?

          So, for me, I must attend:  a Winter Ball for my teen boys tonight, (leave around 6:30pm and return around 11pm),  Martial Arts testing on Saturday morning (leave home around 7:30am and return sometime in the afternoon), church & Sunday School (Sunday morning - leave home around 8:30am and return around 1:30pm) and a seminar for my teen guys Sunday night (leave 5pm & return around 10pm)

      LONG weekend and a lot of travel.  We live pretty far out so that is part of our reality.  Anyway - much of the weekend is going to be sucked up with events away from home - BUT that is FIRST on the schedule!

#2.  What are the things on my personal schedule that can't be moved?
       Honestly, the thing that will be the hardest to find time for is a 7 mile training walk.   I need to do it though - I have an 8 mile race coming up in 2 weeks.  This training distance is important because I am important.

#3.  What are the things that I usually do over the weekend?  Where can they fit (or do they have to be done?)
         Let's see... Saturday mornings are usually allocated to my training distance and to handwork.  I use Saturdays' handwork time to finish up crochet projects from the week and to work on some quilting projects.  Over the weekend, I assess personal chores (from my resolutions, around the house, business and personal paperwork, ministry projects) and make my lists for the week & see what is needed to prepare to do them.

        Over the course of the weekend, I usually cook some food for the week ahead and gather my information for a grocery trip too.. (usually I make a soup, a casserole and plan a basic dinner - meat entree, starch & veggies)

  If the weather is nice I try to do at least one thing in the yard to get some fresh air and a jump on spring!

    Oh yeah... Valentines Day is Monday... what am I going to do to share the LOVE?

   And then there are the ongoing house chores and projects....  never-ending!


  This weekend will be a challenge!  How do I get it all done?

   Well.... I probably won't :-)  BUT here is what I WILL do...

                 FIRST I will commit to getting my sleep and packing food so that my body will be taken care of during this marathon weekend! 

               SECOND, I will remember all weekend long that my primary mission is to take care of the people I love!  No whining!  I want to be a positive role model and lead my family to happiness!

               THIRD.... I will be thinking about it TODAY (not tomorrow)   I will make a list of everything I think needs to be done.

                    Here are my criteria for scheduling:
                           A) Which things can not be changed?
                                     For example, outside events..... (the only question here is "Do I have to go to them?")
                                      
                           B) Which things can double up?
                                       For example: preparing next week's food while I prepare Saturday night dinner

                            C)  Which things can I do RIGHT NOW?
                                       For example, locating my sympathy cards that need to be written or paying some bills.   Be ready to do things when the window of time opens up.

                            D) Which things can I PUT OFF? 
                                     For example, while our sheets need to be changed and washed... I can do it Monday or Tuesday.  Another day won't kill anybody

                For me, I will go to my family events.  I need to go to all of them for reasons of family support and/or personal interest.   They CAN NOT be changed.

               I will probably NOT be the driver.. and am blessed to be able to do things in the car without getting sick - so I will DOUBLE UP and crochet in the car.  (I won't finish things up - but I WILL move forward on bigger projects.. like a scarf or a prayer shawl)

                 I will wear my pedometer when I go to the martial arts testing tomorrow and use the steps I rack up toward my 7 mile distance.  Then I will plan on doing the balance on the treadmill when I get home (and catch up on some recorded television!)  DOUBLE UP and RE-ALLOCATE.

                TODAY, (RIGHT NOW) before I leave for an afternoon meeting, I will check out our food collection and make decisions about what to cook for next week.   I will finish up a few of the crochet projects that need stitching or fringe.  I will find the 3 sympathy cards that I need to send and locate the addresses. (BE READY)
              
       And the sheets are waiting (PUT OFF) .. and if the weather is nice, I will clean out one garden bed..  Still not sure about Valentines Day..  I got all the cards mailed yesterday (gold star for me and resolution #2) and have purchased cards for the family I live with... but need to cook up some FUN for Monday :-)

         

No comments:

Post a Comment