Wednesday, February 23, 2011

To the Islands!

We were up and out of the house by 4:30.... yikes!  But it was an easy leave-taking.

The most excitement was driving onto the airport complex where the traffic patterns have been changed (improved?) once again :-) Finding the long-term parking and our terminal was the first (yet predictable) challenge.

The long faces I was expecting on my trip were all present... though perhaps the hour of day had something to do with it.  Our flight took off at 6:45 and my own traveling companions flinched at my terminal "early morningness".  I managed to stifle some of my exuberance and contented myself with a smile.  It's hard to hang around with someone who makes 'happy' a choice :-)  I think this choice gives me more energy for the most part - which I like... (and other people do in fact find it annoying)

I spent my flying time alternating between my print copies of  St John Off the Beaten Track and St John by Foot and by Car... and my e-reader copy of the Forever Queen.. (all titles on my Reading List page).  I got my e-reader for Christmas and am still learning to use it... something soothing about actually physically turning pages.. but I think I can adjust :-)

Arriving in St Thomas, we had a harrowing (exciting :-) taxi ride to the ferry.  And then the ferry ride to the island of St John.  I read that the island of St John is 20 square miles... which didn't mean a lot to me until I read further... compare that to the 30-square mile Dallas-Fort Worth airport!  

We had a lovely surprise at the ferry.. my cousin was able to come meet us!  We will meet up on Wednesday morning and head out for some fun!  Another short taxi ride and we settled happily in our mountain condo.  My most vivid impression was floral profusion, tiny winding streets (designed, I think, for mountain goats - not vehicles!), and the incessant crowing of roosters :-)  We were settled by 5 and quickly headed out to the market to get some food for the duration.
sunset from the porch... I always did love porches :-)

So.... having done the reading... I set some small goals for myself.

First, I will take LOTS of photos!  It's fun - and, though I can't really see them when I take them, that makes it all the more important to take LOTS.. so I can throw them away when they are not good!

Second, there are two ACTIVE things I really want to do: hike and snorkel.

I am not a strong swimmer so it is a little bit scary.  But I tried to snorkel one time before and it is like being inside a National Geographic special!  The first time I put my face in the water, I couldn't breathe!  But that was because my brain and body had a disconnect :-)  The tube was right there - all I had to do was breathe THROUGH it.. but my body said... YOU are underwater, you can't breathe!  My brain had to kick in and remember what the TUBE was for!  THIS time I will do better :-)

I found a snorkel TRAIL in Cinnamon Bay.  I have absolutely NO clue how that will work but it sounds like something I want to figure out.

There are a lot of hiking trails on the island because of its size.  Driving is best left to the locals, I think... not only do they drive on the left side of the road, the size of the main roads reminds me of personal driveways!  It's enough of a challenge to WALK along the roads :-)

Anyway... hiking... much of St John is National Park.. so there is a lot discover.... from pre-Columbian petroglyphs to abandoned sugar and rum plantations.  I will find history to stoke my imagination!  I want to LEARN.

NUMBER 3 goal: FOOD!  I am a culinary scaredy-cat.  Not so this trip... I want to try local cuisine.. I am sure I will balk if insects of lizards come my way.... but I am eager to try some local produce and FISH (my regular readers will remember that fish is my nemesis).  But I will take some steps to change that.

And 4: I want to check out some local artists and find ONE special hand crafted item to take back as a souvenir.. 

 My son wants to snorkel and shop.. but is not interested in the hiking.  My cousins are already preparing for a day of snorkeling and a day of hiking.  My husband is looking forward to relaxing on the porch while we go off adventuring.  And then there is the race on Saturday...

will keep you posted as I go along the way :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment