Tuesday, February 22, 2011

So here we go :-)

It's a day for traveling.  2 hours, a layover, and then almost 4 hours.... a LONG day......braving airports and all the attendant possible mishaps that this involves.  I find that the best way to handle traveling is to prepare the best I can... and go.. and just relax!  It's a situation where I can do absolutely nothing except DEAL WITH IT :-)

I am always feel surprised at the people who get so very angry at the delays and hassles and rules when traveling.  I wonder what they think anyone can truly DO about their frustrations.

And I find it sad that so many people allow their MOODS to get the better of them.   God bless the people who work at airports... they must have very thick skin!

This is one of situations where you really have two choices.... take a deep breath and SMILE... or make everyone around you miserable.

There are always things that go wrong... forgetting something, setting off an alarm, getting bonked on the head by an impatient traveler trying to get a bag out of an overhead compartment.  We've ALL got airport and plane stories!

And then, let's be realistic, WHO on earth is comfortable either in an airport seat OR a plane seat?  Does anyone really fit into those seats?  We in my family are not large people... but we are TALL people.. and there is not a lot of leg room :-)  And food?  Overpriced in the airport and nonexistent on the plane... Well, we bring our own and are prepared to purchase drinks.

The reality is that EVERYONE is tired and cranky at the end of a flight... so, knowing that up front, why are people so surprised or even outraged when a plane is late or the cabin is cold?

I am ready though...  sandwiches and travel snacks are packed..  IDs at the ready... I have my e-reader with a new novel on it and a skein of yarn and hook to work on a scarf along the way. (I also have a short list of exercises that I will do while traveling - easy strength exercises that take little time or space)

And I have travel books about St John to read.. to make decisions about what we'll see and do and learn some history of this tiny island.  We are planning to hike some ruins of an old sugar plantation, take a submarine ride & visit an aquarium.  We are hoping for an opportunity to snorkel and I will definitely be basking a little on the sand!  And then, of course, the race on Saturday..  You can find out all about that at www.8tuffmiles.com

Our hotel is supposed to have internet capability so my plan is to keep you updated on our adventures this week!  Will check back in as soon as I can :-)  We're OFF to see how the travelers in America are doing today :-)

BTW, I AM on topic for this blog - this trip does in fact have to do with several New Year's resolutions  - DEBT REDUCTION (we've saved for this for trip for 2 years and it is PAID FOR :-) and TRAIN FOR and PARTICIPATE in several races in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment