Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday.... upcoming vacation

Is it Friday already?

I am not sure where the week went.

Our calendar this weekend is fairly clear except for Sunday morning.   I am looking forward to our being able to putz around and enjoy!

On MY agenda is preparing for a family vacation next week... so the food prep will consist of using up what's perishable, planning for our house /pet sitter and choosing travel food, then also basic household jobs that need to be taken care of, early spring yard maintenance, my weekly needlework morning on Saturday and my training miles for the race next weekend,..... not to mention checking the family clothes and supplies needed for a trip (and dividing them in half!)

And then, OF COURSE, all the paperwork and jobs that are WEIGHING on me to get done BEFORE we leave - many of which will keep nicely until we get back!  But those decisions will be made this weekend, for Monday is already full and will have last minute things added to it :-)

My vacation preparation falls in line with my resolutions so I get to write about it :-)  As you probably figured out by now, I am a person who LOVES multi-tasking.  Anything that can serve more than one purpose is a WIN with me.  That goes for vacations too!  So.. what are we doing?

We are joining my cousins at their home for the annual 8TUFFMILES race on the island of St. John in the US Virgin Islands. This should be enough all by itself, shouldn't it?  Yes, I know... it should. 

But my life is full of 'SHOULDs' and 'NEED TOs' and 'DON'T HAVE TIME FORs'.  I have to work at making FUN possible.  It is hard for me to remember that FUN is GOOD FOR ME :-)

So I thought I'd share how that will work for this particular trip.

 First and foremost, re-connecting with some of my favorite relatives is always a bonus!  No matter where they live, prioritizing any chance you can re-connect with family or friends is important.  Kind of a family reunion in paradise. 

Second, the race.  Yes, resolution #11.... train for and participate in several races in 2011.  The 8TUFFMILE event is just that... eight TOUGH miles.  The course runs from sea level to 1000 feet up and back down again.... heartbreakingly beautiful!  I did it a couple of years ago and have wanted to repeat the experience ever since.  This year my goal is to ENJOY the event.. I'll take my camera and lots of photos along the way so don't expect any speed records from me :-)

Third, enjoying new experiences with my family.  From whatever confusion at the airport to the new restaurants and jungle hikes, it is always fun to see the world through the eyes of people you love.  Your experience is multiplied.

And fourth, for me personally, is a sense of achievement.  Resolution #9 Debt reduction progress.  I have wanted to go back to St John for this race but economics has not allowed it.  We've been preparing for this for a few years, and while our finances are still not where we want them, we saved for this purpose and will not go into further debt doing it.  It's REWARD time.  As the money manager in our family, it feels GOOD to be able to do this.  This is what the work is FOR!

I'll save the feelings of GUILT for anticipating and having a good time for another day :-)

So tell me, what is on the agenda for YOUR weekend?  Have you thought about a chance to get away and have fun with your family this year?






 

No comments:

Post a Comment