Thursday, December 15, 2011

Bread Adventures Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day English Granary & Granola Bread

    As I continue my baking adventure in Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
I finally got to the English Granary Bread.  Nowhere in my physical world was I able to find wheat flakes or malt powder.... so..... online (of course) I found a company called King Arthur Flour who managed to help me out!



This dough was pretty stiff!  I almost had to knead it to get it all mixed together.  But I managed to get it done with my spoon alone :-)

The center of the loaf turned out really chewy... almost like it wasn't done.  So I tried it again in a loaf pan just to see if I had made an error.  The second loaf turned out the same.... the consistency of the center reminds me of the way white bread gums up in your mouth.  Not my favorite!  The taste is fine.. nice and grainy.. but I don't think I like the texture.  That's just me though - if you like the texture of white bread, it might work for you!   (And since I had to order the ingredients online - and I have a lot more of it, I'll be making it again here!)


The next one was the Granola Bread...



This one was fun!  There is a recipe to make the granola.. which I did :-)  It was pretty good and a fun new thing for me to try.  (Seriously though... I either need to use purchased granola OR I need more practice!)

  It is a super breakfast or snacking bread.... especially warm with butter or honey :-)

If you haven't tried any of these yet, you should!  If I can do it, anyone can :-)  I'm even negotiating with Santa for a pastry mat and rolling pin (for flat breads and pizzas) and a pizza peel.  A friend gave me a stone she didn't use much so I will be experimenting with that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment