Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Marathon Projects


I was fussing at myself the other day about my photo scanning project.  If you've followed me for a while, you know that in 2012, I started (finally!) scanning photos into my computer!

I had a LARGE (18 gallon) tote box  FULL of random assorted photos I had rescued during Hurricane Isabel (Sept 2003).  Photos in envelopes.... loose photos... and photos that are not salvageable because they got wet and stuck together.  (and yes, I have tried a million things  - and will continue to try them, block by block)

I spent 2012... diligently scanning them in and figuring out which year they belonged in.  I worked throughout my house, locating photographs - and even some letters... to preserve.  I have created a lovely file on my computer with folders by month within year as I scanned them one by one.

And I am down to...... a 20 quart tote..... and envelopes of school photos (and the albums and pictures in frames and a box of historical stuff of my mom's I haven't opened yet)

The tote and envelopes are under my desk.
The albums are downstairs.
The box is stored in an extra bedroom.

All this by year end 2012.

********
So.. the first question is "why haven't I finished already?"
What happened to the diligence and drive that got me through that first tote?

I gave it a day a week where I spent 30 minutes or so scanning.  I really don't know why I stopped.


Like Mile 18 of a marathon....  the WALL.
   the initial excitement of starting a project is long gone.
    the determination to plod along is also gone.

Yet the race is not over yet.
    The end is not in sight yet - still within mind.
     It will take less time to finish than I have already gone

But I have to reach down to my TOES to get what it takes to move forward.

I remember that feeling....

Mile 18.

I remember KNOWing I could go no further
I remember my brain had to take charge of my body.
I remember chanting.. 'only 8 more miles'... and shouting down the other part of my brain that said "8 flipping miles?"  [only that part of my brain is not so polite]
I had to use my personal determination to finish

*******

Which is the only way I will finish this project

a marathon project

at Mile 18.

I will come up with a plan.  Duh... I already have a plan.  30 minutes a week.  Reporting here when I do it.

(ps..... 12 photos scanned in 15 minutes....  simply scanned, identified by month and year)  so a few more done :-)

Do you have any marathon projects you can finish with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment