Tuesday, May 3, 2011

April Resolution Evaluation & Goals for May

            Monthly evaluation of progress toward annual goals..... might be boring reading so I apologize in advance :-)  But I invite you to wallow in it with me... and set some goals of your own!  It feels good to see the progress I actually did make (since on a day-to-day basis I don't see much :-)

  So - here is a recap of how I did with the overall resolutions,  the April specifics & some new pledges for May!

HEALTH/FITNESS

1.      Weight, weight, weight!  Maintain loss and lose a little more.  Tighten and tone…. Develop a daily regimen to stay fit for life!  Learn to eat like a thin healthy person.

   A) EAT
     Not much progress on this front.  Some habits are good... some are a struggle.  I've picked up a few pounds this month and have been working on the WHY of some of my eating (for it has nothing to do with FUEL and everything to do with addiction!)

   B) MOVE:
       dance classes still.... discontinued martial arts in favor of walking with a friend during that time period... got 2 good weeks in of arms & aerobics.... stopped for a week to babysit my grand daughter and need to get back on plan!

     Events:  Feb - 8TUFFMILES (DONE - 15:22 pace) , Apr - Flying Pirate (DONE - 15:47 pace), May - Flying Pig (did not do for a combination of reasons.. not the least of which was the total cost for travel & lodging) , July - Breast Cancer 3Day

April pledges for this category:

#1.  Develop and Begin Core/Arm Strength Routine!
 #8. Appointment with my naturo Doctor to discuss bloodwork

Both done and blogged about :-)  Need to get back to the strength routine TODAY :-)   I also started a '60 Day Challenge' for myself to see what kind of shape I could get my body in by June 10.  Focus lost already :-( but hanging in there.  Main goal is healthy habits so I need to stop obsessing on weight and size and start putting my focus on the actual habits and trust them!

New challenges for May:
 *Depression has reared its ugly head again.  I am either wrestling with depression or I am in a state of change and haven't figured out which way to go.  Sometimes for me this looks the same.... a season of discontent!
The challenge for me will be to go way back to basics and regiment my activity enough so that I do not lose ground while my brain flounders around :-)  I will have to be strict and severe with myself in the food & movement department!
This is also a time for me that I clear my schedule as much as humanly possible to give myself time to stay home, work on the house and yard and spend time with myself and family.
AND, most importantly - be NICE to me :-)  This is a time when I tend to beat myself up for things that don't matter.... I need to focus HARD on not doing that..
   
              LIFE BETTERMENT
 

              2..   Financial betterment - reduce debt, reduce consumer spending, increase savings, increase giving, property improvement 

         I am working on learning to use coupons to see if we can realize any real savings here :-)  Net spending is down for the year (compared to last).. which is pretty cool considering we had a Caribbean vacation in February. So, I must be making some progress.  

 We needed to use some of the savings this month since our business is not doing well at all... but I am determined to manage our lives within my husband's salary by the end of the year.  Net debt is reduced a little.. not as much as I would like.. but still moving in the right direction.



              3. Life simplification: Organize, unclutter, streamline, purge!  

April pledge was:
     #4.  Continue with the shredding and categorizing paper and electronic documents -
                       Specific - hmm..   okay - I will deal with 4 folders in the filing cabinet.
 I did complete this.  4 folders isn't much but it is a good start considering that I kept up with the daily shredding while I did it :-)


       The Pantry Purge project was a good one but needs to continue each month.  It offered me an opportunity to stretch my brain a little and offer some new foods to my group.  It also forced me to use up the odd bits in the fridge and think twice before purchasing items.  It is a good project and helps with focus!


       A dumpster came to our town for Earth Dayan we did empty the first floor of a (used to be) rental home on our property.  A dumpster is coming back on May 14 and we will tackle the attic.


      I had planned to declutter and detail each room in my house over the Lenten period but I didn't do it.  It's time for redecorating and changing things around in the house though so I will be working on that starting this month.  More details on that later :-)


        Yardwork has begun in earnest and I will be spending a little part of most days in the sunshine.

            PERSONAL PROJECTS


4.  Cards  
   I am still on track for birthday cards!  Hard to believe I am still doing it - but that puts me a step ahead of last year :-)  I am still enjoying having them out on time... it's a pain, for sure... but it feels good to put them in the mail!

5. Read a minimum of one book per week
    My favorite resolution :-)  I am going to move 8. Spiritual reading over here since I seem to combine the two.  I usually have a spiritual book or two on my reading list!

Possibilities of Prayer by E M Bounds  (great title - lousy book!)
Loamhedge by Brian Jacques
My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space by Lisa Scottoline
Coal Run by Tawni O'Dell
Your God is Too Small by J B Phillips
Banana by Dan Koeppel

Lots of reading this month!  I also took a 5-week online class called the Images of Jesus which required a good bit of reading.  What I enjoyed MOST about that class though was the online interaction between members on the message boards.  I am such an online junkie!

April pledge here was:
#5. I will finish my online course and decide whether to continue my prayer / reflection blog beyond Easter
  I did this and am still unsure about the Reflections blog.  So I will continue to pray and think on it and see where I am led.  Right now my goal is to keep this blog going for the year and see where the daily writing habit leads me!
6. Crochet for charity & gifts

This has been a challenge!  I have gotten myself hooked on the crocheted dishcloth challenge and am still enjoying it :-)  Eventually these will be gifts but right now are just FUN!

My April pledges were:
#2.  Finish Baby Afghan & Diaper Cake
     #6.  Work on increasing charitable crocheting - minimum 30 lovie squares

The blasted baby afghan has turned out to be a pretty good sized one.  It will make a good gift because it will last until the baby is a toddler or maybe even longer!  Anyway - I am still a bit away from completing it.  It uses a smaller hook than I am comfortable using for long and I get bored pretty easily... so it looks nice but ISN'T done yet!  Needless to say, I won't be repeating this pattern :-) - But I WILL finish it in a couple of weeks or so...

The diaper cake will be finished this week.  I have some final stitching to do this afternoon and will do a blog on putting it together later this week.  I has to be delivered on Friday so I will HAVE to finish it up!

Charitable crocheting took a serious back seat this month!  I have made 12 lovies out of the goal of 30.   I will have to prioritize them this month and set a goal of 40 for May.

   But I also made ponchos for the grandbabies and am working diligently on a couple of other long-term projects.

            7.  Quilt projects and mending

            April pledge:
                       #3. Quilt one strip of the quilt I am making AND mend 2 quilts
                   This one will have to be a carryover.  I didn't touch it :-(
  
9.   Photo project

April Pledge was:
           #7.  Photo project - scan 1/3 of container full of envelopes of developed photos

Yep - I did an awesome job with this.  I have scanned more than a third.  This is a small container of photos still in the dated envelopes from when they were developed.

Unfortunately as I worked on decluttering, I also unearthed an ENTIRE large tote of much older photos that were in the room demolished by Hurricane Isabel - yes - EIGHT years ago!).  These are in all kinds of condition - many loose - that were simply gathered up in the clean-up process.  This month I will be learning about how to handle photos that are stuck together and/or damaged in some way!



May pledges:

1.  Streamline schedule and prioritize family events / requests
2.  Pay more attention to food and late night eating / continue strength routine
3.  Formalize financial goals for the next quarter re: savings and debt reduction
4.  Start room by room decluttering / redecorating.  Formulate a master plan.
5.  Go OUTSIDE most days :-)
6.  Start new pantry purge for the next 4 weeks.
7.  Make 40 crocheted lovies for Operation Christmas Child (APRIL)
8. Quilt one strip on the quilt I am making AND mend 2 quilts (APRIL)
9.  Continue photo scanning - 1/3 of container that is in good shape.... and begin process of sorting and reclaiming the older photos.
10.  Keep shredding.... dispose of 4 more folders in the file cabinet and continue habit of regular shredding

         

No comments:

Post a Comment