Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dishcloth Challenge #47 through #52 and More!

This week I finished up a crocheted diaper cake and am still working on a couple of afghans!  I will do a blog soon about the cake so you can see how that is done and will show off the other items when I finish.... and I really will finish them some day!

I also managed to finish up a few lovies to donate to our local Operation Christmas Child operation.  For more information on this project, go towww.samaritanspurse.org

We had quite a bit of novelty yarn donated that made the round in the center... most of the center rounds are fuzzy and soft, creating more of a 'lovie' touch for the shoebox gifts.  Lovies are totally 'non-necessary' items but offer something soft to 'love on' like a beloved blankie to a child who has nothing soft in his or her life.  What is small to us who are so blessed - is a HUGE gift to those who have nothing.

As for dishcloths, there were a few unusual patterns this week to have fun with!

First of all... lower left.. #47 - Pineapple and Shell Dishcloth - done in yellow variegated thread.  I like the way it turned out.. pretty and lacy.  It was not hard.. but a little tricky to figure out if you are not paying attention (which is OFTEN the way my life operates!)

Next - in the bottom row center - is #48 Windows Crochet Dishcloth.  I really like the effect of this one.  The solid color is actually raised over the variegated.... like a window (I know, duh..) But what is cool is that it was fairly simple to do and looks complicated.  I can think of several color combinations that would work really well with this pattern.

#49 - The Scrubby Crochet Dishcloth - is really unique :-)  The center is one of those inexpensive dish scrubbers.  It is crocheted first in the round and then the scrubber is stitched on to it.  I haven't tried to use it so I don't know if it is as nifty as it seems, but it's a nice idea.  Hmm.... I'd also be hesitant to throw this one in the dryer!

Maggie Weldon's Dishcloth Challenge

Top left - another beautiful one that doesn't show well in the photo!  #50 - Southwestern Flair Dishcloth - called for the colors I used.  I would never have thought of pairing hot orange and hot blue but they really look great :-)  What is hard to see is the chevron pattern in columns on the cloth.   That is what gives it the FLAIR, I think :-)

Top center - #51 - Rainbow Crochet Dishcloth - was a LOT of fun to make :-)  I really enjoyed using up those little scraps and watching the cloth take shape :-)  I think this would be a super washcloth for little ones!

And last, but not least #52 - Fun Flower Dishcloth.  This is a simple granny adaptation... quick to work up and very pretty.  I think you could make a really pretty afghan with a bunch of these squares.  I would skip the edging and probably plan on a size of 3X4 blocks for a baby afghan :-)

Go to www.bestfreecrochet.com for these patterns and many more!  Maggie Weldon is sponsoring a challenge of 365 dishcloths - one for every day of the year.... I wonder how far I will get :-)

Let me know if you make any of them!




No comments:

Post a Comment