Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bread Adventures - Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day (Batch 1)

An ongoing book review and sharing my homemaking progress...  Come along and have some laughs with me (on me?)!

The book is Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Herzog and Zoe Francois

This book is awesome :-)  If you want quick breadmaking success - this book is for you!

I made the dough in just a few minutes.... few ingredients... quick mix-up & store in fridge.  There is supposed to be enough dough for FOUR loaves of bread.  So this is great.... Day 1... throw some stuff in a bowl, mix it up and put it in the refrigerator...... okay... so far, so good :-)

The next morning was baking day.  It took less than 5 minutes to pull out necessary dough, form a loaf & set to rest while the oven pre-heated!


BOULE
My first loaf.....
   this one is called a boule (or ball).  Makes sense :-)


Just for fun - and because I am me - I am baking a loaf a day (or so)  following my way through the book.   For the first chapter, it's a matter of playing with shapes!

The second recipe is for a baguette and I didn't quite roll it thin enough so I ended up with results for the third recipe: a batard (in English, that is a shorter, fatter baguette :-)  I would probably dub this a sub roll and let it go at that!
BATARD

Day 3 rolled around and I did get that baguette done!

BAGUETTE

And there is indeed enough dough for 4 loaves :-)

Next, they share a recipe for a sandwich with eggplant that I passed :-)  Tartine Aubergine...... nice sound to it.. but I really don't care for eggplant - and if I won't eat it, it's not a good risk in my home!

So, skipping the eggplant experience, we arrive at something called a couronne (or crown).  Again a matter of shaping and the result is awesome!  I had to snap this picture fast because the bread disappeared fairly quickly.

COURONNE

All in all, this book is FUN and EASY..  two things very important to me in a project.  If you are not a baker, this is a high success opportunity for you to try!  So far, it is idiot-proof but what adventures lie ahead?

I am going to bake my way through the book..... so go pick up a copy at your library and join me in the fun!  so far, if you can mold with clay, you can bake bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment