Sunday, June 5, 2011

Road Trip... Day 2....

8 hours of driving yesterday... 4 hours ahead today... riding - not driving - for me :-)

Lots of talking and dreaming and planning... thinking of the next 5, 10, 20 years.... thinking about which direction we want our lives to go....  what fun!  Though we are in our mid-50s, with luck, we have at least another good 30 years together... that's a LOT :-)   And, God willing, we will be able to do the work to keep active and healthy.... sooo... what do we WANT for this next chapter? 

We haven't taken the time to really think about the decisions we will need to make about the next years.... do we stay in our home.... do we look for a home that will be easier for us to manage as we age ... what will we need to fix or renovate in order to sell.... (or to enjoy ourselves!)...   where would we like to travel...   how long to continue working....  what to do NOW for residual income later...  how much money do we need AFTER we get the last children through college and settled....  what health issues do we think we will be facing... It's a new thing for us to have the time to actually get specific about what is coming next!

What a blessing to have a partner to dream with and a chunk of uninterrupted time to do it!

In yesterday's post, I talked about the trouble I had LEAVING home... and got myself sidetracked into talking about the difference in packing and planning between the time when my kids were younger and now....  but what I DIDN'T say is that when I get myself out of the house....  with that last item packed...  just as soon as I lock the door.... and get in the car... playtime begins!  I feel the stress of daily living roll off my back....

There is a freedom in leaving the daily habits behind... it's a great time to reconnect (both with my husband and MYSELF!)  I am looking forward to some serious dreaming :-)

What do you want for the next 30 years?   What can you do today to get there?

No comments:

Post a Comment