Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lent....Ready or Not?

In just a few days, the Christian world will begin their annual practice of Lent.  Contrary to popular belief, Lent is not all about giving up candy or soda.  It is defined as a time of preparation for the coming of Jesus.... it is a time of prayer and self-denial, a time of acts of charity and forgiveness.

For me, as a Catholic Christian, it is those things.  For me, as a practical person on a journey to a better life, it is a GIFT!  Lent is one of those annual periods, which while associated with religious practices, ALSO serves as an opportunity to start over.  It is a time when you can HALT the practices which are leading you toward the life you DON'T want.

The official time period for Lent in 2011 is from Wednesday March 9 through Sunday April 24, 2011.  Other religious traditions have other dates to use for this purpose.  Most major religions have cyclical times throughout the year designed for self-purification.  To my way of thinking, this is a clear indicator that "cleaning up your act" periodically is a good thing!

For me, after a winter of FIGHTING to get through some of these resolutions... and a week of vacation excess... I am ripe for a time of self-improvement!  I am not ready mentally (probably due to negative nutrition and lack of consistent exercise!)... but I am determined to be ready by Wednesday.

For prayer, I am beginning an on-line course for Lent and I will commit to staying focused and actually finishing it :-)  It is hard to carve out that time for spirituality but it is a good thing.

I will re-commit to my health, to create the healthiest body I can.  Real food only.... NO processed wheat products... NO products from a cow... so back to serious implementation of my personal food rules.   In my own best interest, I will also chart my weight and measurements (not here! LOL!)  and write down my food daily.  (I HATE to do this... but seriously, tracking your food intake is one of the BEST things you can do to monitor yourself!)

I will also consistently follow my training programs.  (which means that I need to WRITE IT DOWN!)  I had one through the 8TUFFMILE race but haven't followed through to continue it.

 I want to detail clean the rooms in my house that are decluttered..... and keep working on the other clutter spots to make a marked improvement in my family living spaces by Easter.  Today I will create a specific list for myself so that I can stay on track better.  Goals need to be measurable and specific...  "making improvements" is not a good goal... it's a good IDEA :-)

I want to USE UP the food in my freezer and pantry.  I did this last year and it was awesome.  This will fit into my efforts to save money too.  It means I will have to take the time to plan some menus.. a habit I am not consistent with.

And I want to GIVE AWAY.  I will continue my birthday card project and commit to connecting with loved ones I don't see on a regular basis.  I will continue the journey toward tithing and saving, continue crocheting for gifts and charity and search out places to donate the items I am decluttering.

The next few days will be preparation times.... I need to make some lists and schedules.... this makes me smile because I do like making LISTS :-)  I will be ready for my Wednesday start date!   Maybe I'll even come up with some celebrations for Tuesday just for Mardi Gras fun!

So my challenge to you is: what will YOU do for the 40 - 50 days that Lent is composed of?  What challenge will YOU set for yourself?  How will you reward yourself or keep track of your accomplishments?

No comments:

Post a Comment