Monday, March 7, 2011

NO WAY!

Do you know this person?

Ms Negative....  her consistent response to new challenges and change with... "I can't do that", "That won't work", "There is NO way that is gonna happen". 

Of COURSE you know her!  She is your neighbor, your co-worker, your friend.   She is perfectly nice.  You've seen her go out of her way for others.  You KNOW there is a kind heart in there... but her responses are off-putting and discouraging.  Of course, misery loves company and maybe she needs sympathy..... but honestly, doesn't she need uplifting more?

I know that, while I might like this person, I don't want to be with them much because they bring me DOWN.  I have enough to deal with all by myself.

Wait a minute...  we all know her.  As a matter of fact... you might even BE her.  Who me?  NO WAY!  It can't happen!  I am TOTALLY positive!  Are you?  Are you really?  Are you actively committed to bringing the people around you UP or trying to bring them down?

I challenge you:  walk around for ONE day... (just ONE day) and listen to yourself.

Listen to the SECOND HALF of your responses...
             For example, you meet someone and they say, "What a nice day it is!"  And you say, "Yes it is <of course, stopping right there is the best option, but do you find yourself saying the rest of this sentence?> BUT I think it is supposed to rain later."  WHAT?? Who asked you to be the spoiler?  Is your response going to change the weather?  Absolutely not - but it will surely change the ATMOSPHERE.   

How about this one.... 

Add the word YET or TODAY.
      Someone is trying to teach you something new and you just don't get it.  I mean, sometimes, the brain cells just don't click right away... you get frustrated and say, "I can't get it" or "I can't do this".  Wow!  Scary, isn't it, to set yourself up for failure?   This kind of statement affects everyone around you.... it puts a damper on others trying to learn too.   Instead, even when frustrated, all you have to do is say YET... as in "I can't do this YET"... and you won't bring people down with you.

Predict good outcomes instead of bad.
       You have a task to do or a test or something with an uncertain outcome.  You have this gloom and doom thing going on where you imagine all the bad outcomes.  Why not stir up your positive side and go ahead and imagine all the good outcomes?  Most little things in life can go either way and you get to CHOOSE whether to live in FEAR and NEGATIVITY or JOY and POSITIVITY.

No worries... your figures of speech and your attitudes are a matter of choice and habit.  You can change them IF YOU WANT TO!

What do you choose?  Post a comment and let me know how you did!

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder!!! I think I have heard 'that woman' before..... ;)

    ReplyDelete