Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bread Adventures (Batch 6) Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois - Come follow along :-)

I am still having a blast in my kitchen!   I have to make 2 kinds of bread now since my men won't eat rye or pumpernickel!   That means TWO tubs of dough in my refrigerator and bread baking most days.  I cannot emphasize enough how EASY and SUCCESSFUL this book makes breadbaking!

Still using some of the rye flour, I have moved on to pumpernickel.  What a great flavor!  I still get a chuckle thinking about ME making pumpernickel bread.   The recipe called for caramel color but I had no clue where to get any... so I skipped it.  The bread still turned out the right color so I am not sure why it is needed!



Right after the regular pumpernickel, I discovered Pumpernickel Date and Walnut Bread.  I DO love how each batch makes several loaves.  You just go back to the refrigerator the next day and get another hunk of dough to play with.  For this particular loaf, I flattened out the dough, sprinkled it with raisins and chopped walnuts.  Then I rolled it up and put into a greased bread pan.   It doesn't get much easier!  I didn't have dates handy so I used raisins.  I am constantly surprised at the incredible flavor of the breads.

I really thought this bread would be more like a dessert - but it isn't - still bread just better :-)


I took this one to my Vacation Bible School workshop and it was demolished..... I am already getting questions asking which breads are coming to the next workshop!

Research is telling me that more flour might take care of the tendency to go flat - I tried it with the Bran enriched dough and it seems that it might be true!




What I liked about this dough is that my boys got "white" bread they enjoyed and an extra dose of fiber to make me happy :-)

  With the last bit of pumpernickel dough, I tried the onion rye recipe I wrote about last week.  No photo, sorry - but it looked pretty much the same as regular pumpernickel outside.  The inside was flattened out and sauteed onion rings spread out on it.  The the dough was rolled up like a jelly roll.   Oh my goodness, it is AWESOME,,,, this is ONE easy, impressive recipe I will use for potlucks..... both pretty and unusual

I still used a pan for this one, thinking that I might not be able to get the extra flour mixed in well enough to be invisible in the dark bread.

Hope you are having fun!  Has anyone gotten the book to try the recipes?  It should be called breadmaking for dummies..... honestly, if it works for me - it will work for ANYONE :-)

Let me know if you try it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment