Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bread Adventures (Batch 8) Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking Follow along with me as I bake my way through Artisan Bread in Five Minutes. a Day.  It really takes very little time - I am thrilled with the results!

This week I moved on to semolina or durum flour.  I've heard of this one - they make pasta from it.  While I did locate it in a store - hooray! - it comes in small package that holds about 3 cups.  This was just enough to use for one batch of dough - I managed a pizza, a calzone and a loaf of bread.



I tried the recipe rustic Wild Mushroom and Potato Pizza Provencal. .... with sliced red potatoes & mushrooms with shredded parmesan.... not bad but I'm not sure it would be a family choice.  The boys looked at me like I was insane :-)  I added onions because we like them and the pizza seemed a little bland ....  I think I could do this again with different veggies for myself and my husband.. the new potatoes were yummy... but on pizza?  It's a bit of a stretch for us!  But the flavor of the crust was unbelievable!








To reward the boys for trying the potato pizza, I also used the dough to make a calzone... stuffed with sauce, pepperoni and cheese..  Nice and traditional.... (and, she says smugly, demolished!)










..and then a sesame seed studded loaf just for fun. 


This beautiful loaf is my husband's favorite so far :-)



   I will need to hunt a little more to see if I can find semolina flour in a little larger quantity.  We really liked it for pizza crust but need to find a more cost effective way to purchase it!

Have you checked this book out yet?   I still can't believe I can turn out beautiful breads with MY schedule!

Try it from your library first..... if you decide to purchase it from Amazon.com, please click a link on one of my bread blog pages - usually the title of the book or the cover graphic.  Thanks :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment