Friday, January 6, 2012

Importance of Breaking Rules

First I have to say that you have to HAVE rules in order to break them... so now you know ONE of the reasons I love to have my lists and schedules :-)  It's hard to take a break if you don't have a schedule...

But as detailed as I might get... some of that is simply a process to remind me who I am and where I want to go.  I am connected to a process... NOT results.  I do want results, which is why I must nudge myself along to do things that do not naturally occur to me or do not "FEEL" comfortable... but the results are often NOT what I  envision.

Yesterday is a case in point.  I had to spend the day out - which left my research and my lists hanging.   I knew that "nothing would get done".... and I could have been frustrated and miserable about things I could not change - about the day not going the way I planned. 

But I shelved all that and enjoyed the day.  The sun was out... the traffic was not too bad... my shoulder pain was manageable... and I didn't worry about the lists.  I played hooky and just had a good day.

What I found though, last night when I reviewed where I was in my weekly list.. was that I DID get my mile walked..... I DID get my usual daily stuff done (habit now)... I DID add in some strength exercises as I went about my day (do you know how EASY it is to add in calf raises?)    And when I got home, I still had to think about dinner so I grabbed two of the little baskets I skipped the other day, emptied the spices out of them & washed them out.... so a few minutes if not 15...

My point is that I played hooky and had fun.... but upon reflection, I didn't lose ground.  I am living the life I want to live... I am having fun... and am still moving toward my 5 year vision.

Today, it would be easy to SLIDE into a second day of rule-breaking.... but that is where I have to have a little (just a little) discipline...

I have a day at home and am trying to decide what the WORST thing on my list is....  the thing I have been avoiding the longest....  I think I will tackle STARTing that one first and then the rest of my day should be CAKE!  (Especially because I am ending today with a dinner out :-)  Well... that is the PLAN anyway...  I am never quite sure where life will lead me....




No comments:

Post a Comment