Thursday, November 15, 2012

21 Days.. Day 10 - Support Team!


Using the book 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life by Crystal Paine

Following the challenge led by Crystal at www.servingjoyfully.com

I invite you to come play along!  Start where you are... you can go back and read my blog from Day 1... or go to www.servingjoyfully.com to read there and/or find many other fine bloggers who have joined the challenge!

****************************************

    Today's reading is about the importance of gathering accountability partners to help you reach your goals.  In the book, they are referred to as cheerleaders.  I find this (locating accountability partners) extremely difficult!

Not asking for help.... that is not a problem.  Even accepting help is not a real issue for me.

I think it comes down to 2 things for me: In MY life, I am the accountability partner.  I am the cheerleader!  I am the one who gets invested in other people's goals and helps them to achieve!  And, I admit, I love doing it!

I have not yet gotten to the place where I can figure out how to turn that part around to help ME.

If I lived where I had a local friend who was interested in the same things I am, we could meet and I would have a real life partner who be disappointed when I don't show up.  And I wouldn't do that to them.

A case in point - this morning as my husband and I walked the dogs....  it is COLD this morning!   We reached the 1/4 mile mark (where we turn a corner into a wind tunnel :-)... and my husband turned around to go home.  I forged ahead telling him I was going to finish.  But I thought of all the times I simply followed...  The reality is that I NEED that full mile - even the COLD - to be a healthy person.   And I need to be the one of the two of us who is diet and exercise-minded.  In a sense, MY focus on diet and exercise is what will keep HIM alive longer because I know in my heart that he wouldn't have done the quarter-mile if I didn't routinely go that way.  

I will need to give this some thought today as the day goes on!

Assignment for the day:

Complete Step 10 of the mega-project.  (Yikes, I need to work on this one!)

Write down the names of 3 people who might be willing to help me be accountable with my personal goals.  (I think this is where it is really useful to know what those goals are :-).... The suggestion is to find people who are successful in what YOU want to achieve!

*****************************
Will be back later with the day's recap of events and progress!





No comments:

Post a Comment