Sunday, November 25, 2012

Bread Adventures - Almond Brioche

I know it's been forever since I've shared my bread adventures....  I have 'catching up' on my To Do List but I think that today I will jump in and share where I am!

As some of those who've been keeping up with me for a while know, I have been slowly and methodically baking my way through Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francoise.  (See their website www.artisanbreadinfive.com)

It has definitely been an adventure for someone as kitchen- challenged as I am....  or should I say USED TO BE :-)  I have spent the last year or so working on different kinds of bread - using the simple methods in this book!  And I have become a bread maker.  At least I have been creating breads that people are actually eating.... and today I made something called Almond Brioche.


It uses make-ahead Brioche dough........ is rolled out in a flat rectangle.  I made a filling using almond paste (an item I went to my favorite go-to place on the internet for - www.nuts.com).    I spread the filling on the dough and rolled it up like a jelly roll.  Then cut in 8 pieces and put into a prepared cake pan to rise.

Before baking, it is topped with sugar, orange zest & almonds... and voila!

How does it taste?  Like a french pastry.... oh my goodness.... I never would have thought I could do this :-)

And my beloved husband... who neither complains nor praises food.... well, he said, matter-of-factly.... "I would pay money for this.  I would pull off the highway to buy one of these"

You'd have to know my husband to appreciate the high praise in that statement...

Unbelievable pastry!  Get the book... if I can create this, anybody can :-)

I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment