Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Who Do I Want to Be?

At my stage of life... I feel like I am on the cusp of so many things....

But yesterday a health situation knocked me in the head...

I will preface this by saying that I am in good health.

Cholesterol and blood pressure slightly elevated but the good numbers in there are also elevated.. so time to work on diet a little.

But I see my peers... and there are two distinct camps at my age.....

those that are still physically able

and those that are not.

Barring specific illness or injury [my own situation]....  I feel strongly I am on the cusp of a decision....

Just as heart disease and diabetes and more are clearly most often diseases of lifestyle... I am feeling that much of 'old age' is the same.

I can succumb to the daily aches and pains and stop moving [and stay that way]
Or I can keep moving at my pace - and a little harder - and be strong for years.

Who do I want to be?

The little old lady jumping from a plane at 70 to skydive?
Or
The little old lady humped over who can barely move her body from one place to another ?

Ummm.....  yes.....  I will make the DAILY choice to grow up to be the skydiver.

****

What I keep remembering is when I used to hear that I shouldn't cross my eyes because they might freeze that way... did you hear that?

Of course that doesn't happen.

But I am more and more convicted that if I don't move my limbs... in all directions and often...

they will in fact freeze that way....

and, while that may indeed happen to me,

I refuse to allow it to happen BECAUSE I made the choice NOT to MOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment